Friday 16 September 2011

Author Interview: Debra Brown

Debra Brown has written The Companion Of Lady Holmeshire.

1. What is your name and where do you call home?
I am Debra Brown from Corvallis, Oregon.

2. Do you have a pen name?
No, but I've learned that I should have been published with a middle initial!

3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
The Companion of Lady Holmeshire: A foundling, Emma, grows up to become companion to a widowed countess. She is dragged, unwelcome, into snobbish aristocratic society. 

4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I am well into my second book, For the Skylark. Neither is part of a series. I just find it easier to write a really good story with no restrictions.

5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I began writing about 10 months ago after watching the last period movie on my Netflix queue. Hungry for more, I decided to write my own!

6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
Yes, I do.

7. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
I had my own ideas for it, and my publisher hired Spittyfish to carry out my thoughts.

8. How did you come up with the title for your book?
I thought "The Companion" would make people wonder about her- what was her life like? And I pieced together Holmeshire from Sherlock Holmes and the British ending, shire.

9. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
I had to keep Emma's emotions a bit quiet in order to keep her secret. I didn't get to share a lot of her feelings. But it pretty much had to be that way. My next book is full of feelings.

10. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
Yes, my publisher did a trailer. From what I understand, YouTube is second to Google in search, so I think it is great that they did that for me.

11. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
I love print books, either paperbacks or hardcover. I long to live in the times I write about- when books were bound in leather.

12. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
I am published by a small publisher.

13. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
Yes, Great Expectations, for one. I love Miss Havisham. 

14. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
It is a paperback of The Complete Idiot's Guide to British Royalty. A bit insulting, isn't it?

15. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
My advice is for nonwriters who wish they could: Do! You may be pleasantly surprised. The best advice I think any writer can receive is not to use too many words. Go back and trim out the excess.

16. Where can your readers follow you?















Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

2 comments:

  1. Great Interview!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed the interview...and I wasn't insulted at all by your current reading matter :)

    ReplyDelete