Wednesday 14 December 2011

Author Interview: Loukia Borrell



Loukia Borrell has written Raping Aphrodite.



1. What is your name and where do you call home? 
My name is Loukia Borrell and home is Virginia.

2. Do you have a pen name? 
I don't. My maiden name was Loukia Louka. I used to hate it and felt awkward when people would meet me for the first time and try to say it. Later, when I was a journalist, I loved it. It was a completely cool byline.

3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say? 
My debut book is "Raping Aphrodite." In 20 words or less: A Mediterranean island, lies, murder, intrigue and personal loss. 

4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series? 
"Raping Aphrodite" is set up for a sequel and a prequel. 

5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing? 
I learned early on, probably in middle school, that English was a strong point for me. I really didn't enjoy math or science. I just couldn't get it.  I took advanced English classes, so I knew there was something there. When I went to college, I joined the student newspaper staff, eventually becoming editor. After graduation, I began working as a journalist. I was a journalist for about 20 years, but writing a book was something I just did in the past two years, with "Raping Aphrodite."  

6. How did you come up with the title for your book? 
There were several working titles. One of them was "Killing Cyprus," and the other one I considered was, "When Aphrodite Trembled." I finally settled on "Raping Aphrodite," because Aphrodite is the goddess of Cyprus. Her island and people were emotionally and physically violated in 1974, when Turkey invaded the island. Part of the book is set during that invasion. 

7. Are you a self-published / Indie author? 
I am. I tried for about six months to get a literary agent. When that didn't work out, I struck out on my own.

8. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it? 
No, but I do keep some of the books whose characters I felt close to and taught me something. 

9. Have you ever read a book just based on it’s cover? 
No. I try not to judge people or books by their covers. Content is what matters.

10. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing? 
In a word, perseverance. You must carry on through life's ups and downs. Just move forward. If you think you have something to say, a story to tell, block out the distractions and start writing. You'll figure out the rest.

11. Where can your readers follow you? 
I am on Goodreads and also Twitter @LoukiaBorrell


Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment