Monday 12 December 2011

Author Interview: Maria V. Snyder



Maria V. Snyder has written the Study series, the Glass series, the Insider series and the Healer series.



1. What is your name and where do you call home?
Maria V. Snyder and I live in Pennsylvania, USA.

2. Do you have a pen name?
Nope.

3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
Touch of Power is my soon-to-be latest (it’s due out December 20).  Avry’s healing powers can save the Fifteen Realms, but others plot to stop her.

4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
This book is the first in my Healer Series.  I’m currently working on book 2, Scent of Magic.

5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
Boredom! My first job after college was as a Meteorologist for an environmental consulting firm. The amount of work came in waves, and we were either extremely busy or bored. During the slow times, I started writing a short story. Ideas were always floating around in my mind, but that was when I began using them. I submitted my first short story for critique at a writing conference in Philadelphia, and when the workshop leader gave me 7 out of 10, I thought that was pretty good for a first effort and decided to stick with writing for a while. After my son was born and I only had about one hour a day to myself, I had to decide what was important enough to spend that precious time on. Most days writing won.  I’ve been writing for twenty years.

6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
I do get a limited number of ARCs to give out to book reviewers.  I also send out copies to winners of contests.  Readers really like to win a signed book.

7. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
I can take no credit for the cover of any of my books.  My publisher’s art department is in charge of all cover designs and it’s a collaborative effort.

8. Which is your favourite cover of all the books you have written?
The UK covers of my Study books (Poison Study, Magic Study and Fire Study) are my favorites because the artist, Henry Steadman captured Yelena perfectly.

9. Is there anything you would change about your book covers?
Nope.

10. Would you have different book covers for different countries?
I do have different covers on my international editions.  Each country decides what to use as a cover.  Some pick the UK one or the Australian cover, and others use their own.  They know their audience better than I do.

11. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I have a book trailer for Poison Study, Storm Glass, and Inside Out.  I like them, they’re little previews of the book and are fun to watch.

12. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
I prefer reading those trade-sized paperbacks that are bigger than the mass-market ones.  But I enjoy audiobooks when I’m driving.  I’m not an e-Book fan, but I’ll use it if I’m traveling.

13. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
No.

14. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
I’m reading, The Curse of the Blue Tattoo, by L.A. Meyer. It’s a paperback.  I’m also listening to the audio book, How to Ditch Your Fairy, by Justine Larbalestier.

15. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
Persistence is my biggest advice. I’d been writing for ten years and submitting for eight before I sold anything. Learn the craft of writing as well as the business of writing and attend writer’s conferences and classes if you can. Consider that time an apprenticeship. Be wary of predators, if someone is asking you for money proceed with the utmost caution. Get feedback on your stories from fellow writers before submitting. Joining a critique group is very helpful. I also find that if I let a story sit on my desk for a few weeks I can pick out all the problems, typos and inconsistencies easier. And the best advice came from Stephen King’s book, On Writing.  He wrote, “If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot.” And don’t give up!

16. Where can your readers follow you?







Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I finally got an email about your post!:)

    You interviewed Maria Snyder?!!? That is so awesome! I can't wait to read Touch of Power!

    Ana @ BookSpark

    ReplyDelete