Friday 9 December 2011

Author Interview: Terry Persun


Terry Persun has written Cathedral Of Dreams.



1. What is your name and where do you call home?
Terry Persun, and presently I live in Port Townsend, Washington.

2. Do you have a pen name?
I don’t use a pen name at the moment, but have thought about it from time to time.

3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
My latest novel is “Cathedral of Dreams”, which is about a utopian city in a dystopian world. The main character, Keith, leaves the utopian world only to find that there may be more for him on the outside. Inside, emotions are squelched using an implant.

4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
Yes, I’m writing the third book in a series I started a few years ago. Although the first book of the series hasn’t been published yet, it is scheduled to be out sometime in early 2012.

5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I’ve been writing since the third grade, and reading is what inspired me to write.

6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
Yes, sometimes.

7. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
Often the publisher comes up with the covers for my books, so I’ve had several different styles. But, I have to say that my recent publisher, Booktrope Editions, are doing my favorite covers.

8. Which is your favourite cover of all the books you have written?
The cover for “Cathedral of Dreams” is perfect for the book, and so is the cover for my mainstream fiction title, “Giver of Gifts”.

9. Is there anything you would change about your book covers?
Not now, since Booktrope took over the publication.

10. Would you have different book covers for different countries?
I think that’s a great idea. Each country has their own likes and dislikes when it comes to artwork.

11. How did you come up with the title for your book?
I typically come up with a working title near the beginning of the book. I really don’t know where they come from though. They just sort-of happen to be in my head when I start writing.

12. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
Once a book is published, I stop rewriting it. I let it stand on it’s own. That way, my tenth novel isn’t still the first one written.

13. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I only have a book trailer for one book, and I don’t think many of them are very good, nor do I think they help to sell books.

14. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
Print books, for sure. I love the smell of paper and ink, and the feel of it in my hands. And since I spend a lot of time on the computer, an e-reader doesn’t feel any different. I don’t want to look at a screen all day.

15. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
Not at the moment.

16. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
James Salter’s “A Sport and a Pastime”

17. Have you ever bought a specific edition of a book because of it’s cover? (For example a UK, US or Canadian version)
Oh, yes. I have bought several editions of books because they have different covers, even if it’s a different printing of a U.S. title.

18. Have you ever read a book just based on its cover?
Yep. Some covers are so cool that I just have to check them out.

19. Has the quality of the cover of a book ever put you off of reading it?
Yes, absolutely. A poorly designed cover signals that the contents might also be poorly done. I think everything about a book has to be done professionally. Otherwise we’re just publishing whatever is available. I wouldn’t just play the piano and sing and then just create a CD for sale. I’d want it to be done well.

20. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
Fiction: John Ringo’s “Into the Looking Glass” (it’s a lot of fun, so far); Non-Fiction: Priscilla Long’s “A Writer’s Portable Mentor” (I am always reading at least one book on the craft of writing and, so far, this is my all time favorite); and William Stafford’s “The Way It Is” (I love poetry, and I love Stafford).

21. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
To read a lot and to write a lot. And, most of all, to continually study and learn craft. It’s a forever thing.

22. Where can your readers follow you?







My Twitter details: https://twitter.com/#!/tpersun




Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment