Tuesday 14 February 2012

Author Interview: Emily Goodwin

Emily Goodwin has written Unbound.

1. What is your name and where do you call home?
My name is Emily Goodwin and northwest Indiana is the place I call home.

2. Do you have a pen name?
Nope, I write under my ‘real’ name.

3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
My most recent book is Contagious, the first book in The Contagium Trilogy. Only 20 words? I’ll try lol: Badass main character fighting against zombies to save the people she loves

4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I have outlines for seven more books. I’m currently working on Deathly Contagious, the second book in the Contagium Trilogy. Reaper, the second book in the Guardian Legacies, is also done. I’m not happy with the ending though, so rewriting it is my next project.

5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I don’t think I can pick out just one thing or person who inspired me to write. I’ve always been very imaginative and loved getting lost in books. For as long as I can remember, I’ve made up elaborate stories in my head and that’s where they stayed for years. When I was a teenager I started writing fanfiction and silly movie scripts with my friends. I really enjoyed it but never thought I had what it took to write a ‘real’ book. Then one day I just sat down and did it. I have a lot of crazy dreams. Beyond the Sea and the Contagium Trilogy were both born from dreams I had.

6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
Yes.

7. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
I came up with the idea for the cover by wanting a picture of something that is important to the book. A lot of the action takes place in the woods in Unbound, and I wanted something that looks magical and mysterious without giving too much away about the book. I’m lucky to have a very talented artist for a friend, and she did the cover.

8. Which is your favourite cover of all the books you have written?
The cover that I have for Beyond the Sea (a YA paranormal romance about mermaids) is the prettiest, in my opinion. That book isn’t yet available though. The MS is still with the editor. I’m hoping to have it up and running within a month.

9. Is there anything you would change about your book covers?
There are trends with book covers, so I am always wanting to ‘update’ covers to go with the look that is considered ‘in’.

10. Would you have different book covers for different countries?
Only if the publisher wanted to; I would prefer them all the be the same.

11. How did you come up with the title for your book?
Coming up with titles is very hard for me. I want the title to have some reflection of the story while being interesting and enticing to read. I usually throw words around until I come up with something I like, then run it by friends to see what they think before making it ‘offical’. Unbound will fits with the story because of something important that happens in the book. Yes, I’m being ambiguous so I don’t give away any spoilers!

12. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
Almost every time I read one of my books, I find something I’d like to change. Once books are edited, I try not to read through them so I don’t get tempted to change something.

13. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I am working on a book trailer for Unbound. I think they are a good way to bring in readers, especially people who don’t usually read. I feel a lot of people in today’s society are so visually driven since they are used to seeing everything on TV or the internet that they need to see what a book is about in order to want to read it.

14. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
I love the convenience of e-books, but nothing can replace printed books. I don’t have a preference of hardcover or paperback.

15. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
Yes.

16. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
Yes. I’ve read the Harry Potter books multiple times.

17. Have you ever bought a specific edition of a book because of it’s cover? (For example a UK, US or Canadian version)
Nope. I’ll admit I’m a sucker for pretty covers, but it is not the selling point of a book for me.

18. Have you ever read a book just based on it’s cover?
The covers make me pick up a book. If I like the blurb, then I’ll read it, but I don’t read a book solely based on the cover.

19. Has the quality of the cover of a book ever put you off of reading it?
Yes, though I try really hard not to judge a book by the cover, since often the authors don’t get much say in their covers.

20. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
I’m reading Dead Witch Walking in paperback.

21. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
Don’t give up and don’t doubt yourself. You’re more likely to regret not writing than writing something you don’t like. You and edit and revise as much as you need to. And don’t let the fear of rejection hold you back. I remember reading that JK Rowling got rejected about 40 times.

22. Where can your readers follow you?




Twitter: 0emilygoodwin

Barnes and Noble:




Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment