Monday 13 February 2012

Author Interview: J.E. Hopkins

J.E. Hopkins has written We Shall Rise.

1. What is your name and where do you call home?  
J.E. Hopkins. Home is New York City.

2. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say? 
We Shall Rise, Misfits of the Lore Series (Book#2). Two vampires finding love in the midst of an immortal race war that threatens to destroy all supernatural creatures.

3. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series? 
I am working on Book #3 in the series.

4. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing? 
I have always loved to write as a hobby. I found it cathartic in so many ways. I decided to pursue it seriously in 2006 and after writing my first book, The Broken, I decided to continue writing in 2010.

5. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews? 
Absolutely.

6. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book? 
The cover was designed by Kim Killion of hotdamndesigns.com.

7. Which is your favourite cover of all the books you have written? 
We Shall Rise is my favorite cover. It captures the hero and heroine perfectly.

8. Is there anything you would change about your book covers? 
I was not crazy about the book cover for my first novel, The Broken. I would love to change that one at some point, but for now, it works.

9. Would you have different book covers for different countries? 
Someday I hope to have books in different languages and different covers so that they fit well within the culture of the country.

10. How did you come up with the title for your book? 
We Shall Rise is a theme in this series. It’s the mantra of the lesser immortals (witches, sages, hybrids, shifters, demons, etc.) who have waged war against the pureblood vampires and lycans. After years of oppression, the enslaved are rising against their former masters. We Shall Rise is the battle cry of this war.

11. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why? 
No. I could make myself crazy changing things and second guessing myself, but at some point you have to let go and trust your instincts. There’s no room for regrets and doubts.

12. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers? 
I did a book trailer for my first book in this series, Lover’s Betrayal. I liked it, but I didn’t feel it was worth the effort. It’s a nice to have, but I would rather spend more time writing then trying to create a book trailer.

13. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks? 
As an avid reader, I am addicted to my Kindle so I prefer e-books. I never thought I would love e-books as much as I do, but the convenience of it makes it so much more appealing to me.

14. Are you a self-published / Indie author? 
Yes.

15. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it? 
A few times. I love the Scarlet Letter and I have read that countless times. I also have read Lover Awakened and A Hunger Like No Other multiple times. I love both those books. I actually have them as paperbacks and e-books.

16. Have you ever read a book just based on its cover? 
A cover draws me in first and then I read the back cover blurb to see if it interests me. A strong cover definitely gets my attention.

17. Has the quality of the cover of a book ever put you off of reading it? 
Not the cover art, but if the description does not sound appealing on the back cover, I will not purchase the book.

18. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format? 
I am about to start Lothaire by Kresley Cole. It’s an e-book.

19. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing? 
As an author you have to be true to yourself. Write from your heart. You can’t write for other people. As much as we want everyone to love what we produce, you can’t please everyone. First and foremost, you have to feel good about what you do and you have to commit to your vision. Hopefully, others will enjoy your work as much as you enjoy producing it, but if you don’t feel 100% good about what you’ve created, others will not as well.

20. Where can your readers follow you?








Thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

1 comment:

  1. Great interview!

    Btw, there's a game of tag I tagged you in, check it out on my blog =)

    ReplyDelete