Wednesday 21 March 2012

Author Interview: Heather Ross

Heather Ross has written Highway 90.


1. What is your name and where do you call home?
My name is Heather Ross and Los Angeles is my home.

2. Do you have a pen name?
I write children's books under Ruth Thompson to keep my genres separate.

3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
20 words? Darn! My novelette, Highway 90, is a YA drama/coming of age story about how life can take unexpected turns and offer hope when you thought you were stuck in a dead end cycle.

4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I didn't plan Highway 90 to be a series, but so many people want to know "what happens next," so I'm writing a sequel.

5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I remember making up stories when I was little. As I got older I started keeping a journal, which is great for later reference, and writing poetry. In high school and college I had a few really awesome English teachers who assigned projects that opened up my mind and called upon my more creative writing skills. I've only been seriously writing for a year and a half.
6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
Yes.

7. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
I had a clear concept of what I wanted for the cover and chose a key scene in the book to hopefully grab potential readers and give them a hint about what happens in the story. Malice Bathory designed my cover. I found her on Deviantart.com.

8. Which is your favourite cover of all the books you have written?
Highway 90 is my favorite cover so far.
9. Is there anything you would change about your book covers?
No.

10. Would you have different book covers for different countries?
Perhaps in different languages, but not the art unless it was banned for some reason.
11. How did you come up with the title for your book?
I used the name of the highway the main characters travel, which is also where the drama occurs.

12. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
I might make it longer to answer questions, but those can be answered in a sequel or not. I intentionally wrote the story as it is to give the reader freedom to think and decide for themselves "what happens next."

13. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I created a YouTube channel for this purpose, but so far have only created playlists/soundtracks for Highway 90 and a blog post about romance. You can see it here http://www.youtube.com/user/HeatherRossAuthor?feature=mhee
I like the visual concept of a book trailer, so will definitely be making one soon for Highway 90. It may also direct more readers to my books, which can't hurt.


14. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
I now prefer e-books that I read on my iPhone since I can take them with me anywhere without fear that I'll forget them, rip a page or spill something on them. Plus, my iPhone is A LOT smaller. However, I do still have shelves of paperback and hardcover books that I love!

15. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
Yes.

16. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
Not lately, but I think I re-read almost all of V.C. Andrews books. Okay, that makes me sound old.

17. Have you ever bought a specific edition of a book because of it’s cover? (For example a UK, US or Canadian version)
No.

18. Have you ever read a book just based on it’s cover?
Yes.

19. Has the quality of the cover of a book ever put you off of reading it?
God yes!

20. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
Starfire Angels by Melanie Nilles in ebook format.

21. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
The best advice I received when it comes to writing is write more. Don't be finished after one story, poem or novel. Keep writing, whatever comes into your head just write it down. It may not all make sense, but the more you write the better you become, then you can go back and edit later.
My advice to other writers would be the same, to write. Everyday whether you feel like it or not. It doesn't have to be a long story, it could just be thoughts, ideas, scenes even dialogue. I would also advice other writers to write the story you want to read. There will always be readers who don't like how you wrote a particular scene or portrayed a character, but, editing aside, stay true to the story you want to tell.


22. Where can your readers follow you?

Blog: http://www.heatherross.net/

Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/HeatherRossAuthor

Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/WriterHeather

Google+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/104195734034607756780/

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Highway-90-ebook/dp/B006S4CYB0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329519392&sr=8-1

Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/119009 





Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment