Saturday 15 September 2012

Author Interview: Elaine D. Walsh

Elaine D. Walsh has written Atomic Summer.

1. What is your name and where do you call home?
Elaine D Walsh and home is Florida in the Tampa Bay area where I have lived since graduating college.  Prior to that, I grew up in upstate New York in a town called East Fishkill, which has nothing to do with killing fish.  It is a Dutch name. 

2. Do you have a pen name?
I waited too long to publish, so I want everyone who reads my work to know it’s me who wrote it.  My high school and college classmates who I’ve reconnected with through the years all ask “so have you published”.  They all know me as Elaine, so now when I answer “yes”, there’s no explanation about a pen name.  It’s a lot less complicated for me that way.

3. What is the name of your recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 words or less, what would you say?
Atomic Summer - THREE friends, TWO secrets, ONE lie, and the summer in 1953 that changed their lives.

4. Do you have plans for a new book?  Is this book part of a series?
Atomic Summer is a stand-alone work, so there won’t be a sequel or series.  But I will be publishing my second novel next summer.  It is called Restoration and is written from the point of view of a young woman whose mother abandoned her family to marry a man on death row and the impact this had on her life.

5. What or who inspired you to start writing?  And how long have you been writing?
I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t writing stories.  I wrote Dip Dap The Weather Machine when I was about six.  Years later, my mother asked a family friend who is an artist to illustrate it.  In elementary school when I wrote stories, I received a lot of positive reinforcement from teachers.  During a parent-teacher conference, my sixth grade teacher, Mrs. Kuam, told my parents I had a real talent for writing and to encourage me, and that’s what they did. 

6. How did you come up with the title for your book?
The working title was “The Truth About Lies” but it didn’t quite have the punch I was looking for.  As I researched 1953, which is the year the story is set, the word atomic was a word that kept surfacing.  The first atomic bomb was dropped less than a decade earlier, nuclear tests with atomic bombs were conducted in the desert, atomic symbols were hung on fallout shelters and the country was anxious that the communists would send an atomic bomb our way.  I coupled that word with summer because that is when the story takes place.

7. Have you ever read a book just based on it’s cover?
Not just on the cover.  But covers are powerful.  They’re first impressions and are meant to attract readers and say “pick me up and check me out”.  I have certainly picked up many books based on the cover, read the book jacket and have read the book based on that.

8. What is your favorite film based on a book?
Gone With The Wind.  I saw the re-release of the film in the theater when I was a young girl and read my grandmother’s copy of the book a few years later.  I am a fan of both the book and the movie.  I was just in Atlanta and visited the house where the author Margaret Mitchell wrote this classic. 

9. Do you have any hobbies that aren’t related to reading and writing?
I love history and visiting historical sites when I travel.  I enjoy golf and wish I had more time to work on my very mediocre game.  I’m a foodie and red wine enthusiast and love exploring new restaurants where I can enjoy both.

10. Where can readers follow you?






Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment