Wednesday 28 November 2012

Author Interview: T.D. Thomas

T.D. Thomas has written Hera, Queen Of Gods.


1. What is your name and where do you call home?
T.D. Thomas
My house :p (in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada)


2. Do you have a pen name?
Yes

3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
Hera, Queen of Gods
It is the most awesome book in the world. Go buy it now! Wait. That’s only 14 words. 19. Done.
And, once more, for real this time: when the Fates go missing, Hera journeys to Earth to find them, only to become entangled in a deadly plot.


4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I’ve written the sequel to Hera, Queen of Gods. I’m in the (long) process of editing it.
I’ve also written an unrelated novel, The Order, which I’m also revising. It will be the first in a new urban fantasy series about a girl breaking away from a cult.


5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I’ve been writing seriously for about four years now, and by seriously, I mean writing and finishing novel-length stories.
I’ve been writing recreationally for much longer though. I even wrote short stories as a child, just for my own entertainment. I fell in love with Greek mythology at an early age: all the epic adventure, gods and monsters, magic. It was so exciting! So imaginative! So much bigger and better the real world! It wasn’t long before I realized I could create worlds of my own. From that came writing.


6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
Absolutely.

7. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
I hosted a design competition for the cover of my novel through a site called www.99designs.ca/. I wound up with quite a few stunning options to choose from. Ultimately, I went with a design from Georgina Gibson. She was amazing to work with. Definitely went above and beyond the call of duty.
Truthfully, I feel I was pretty vague about what I wanted in a cover, other than something eye-catching (of course). I knew I definitely needed a cover that focused on the main character and narrator of my story (Hera), but apart from that, anything was fair game. It was really interesting and exciting to see the varied directions that different designers took. I wish I could have taken them all!


8. Would you have different book covers for different countries?
Maybe. It would depend on whether I had someone knowledgeable to convince me that a certain cover aesthetic wouldn’t be successful in a given cultural context.

9. How did you come up with the title for your book?
Like most authors, it was the product of endless hours of agonizing. :p I think titles are, in some ways, the hardest part of writing a novel. They’re almost as important as the book cover. Some might say even more important. In the end, I went for a very literal title, and to this day, there are times when I’m not entirely convinced that it was the best route to take.

10. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
Yes and no. Every time I get feedback on my novel, I consider changing it, but ultimately, my book is the story I wanted to tell, the way I wanted to tell it. It’s my point of view. Some people will understand it; some will like it; others won’t. I just have to make peace with that.

11. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I don’t have a book trailer yet. I’d love one, and I do plan to create one sometime in the future. It’s on the to-do list. :p
I’ve seen some book trailers that are very enticing. I think the idea of a book trailer is a creative way to blend new media (like sound and video) into traditional media (like a novel), especially for those of us who publish and sell online.


12. What is your opinion on ARCs?
I think they’re invaluable. Getting reviews is critical to the success of any book. The sooner, the better.

13. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
I actually don’t have a preference, except that I probably don’t use audiobooks very much. When I was little, my parents would play us audiobooks for road trips. But as an adult, when I read, I tend to focus on whatever I’m reading, so I’m not sure an audiobook would work for me. I don’t think I could sit and just listen. I’m too visual and tactile.
That said, I’ve heard of people doing something repetitive (like cardio workouts) while listening to audiobooks. That’s pretty creative! But I guess it depends on how intensely you’re working out!


14. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
I am a self-published author.

15. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so, what was it?
Most of the novels I own are ones I’ve read countless times. I’ve read the Black Jewels trilogy by Anne Bishop several times, as well as the Belgariad by David Eddings. I think I could cycle through those series endlessly.

16. Have you ever read a book just based on its cover?
The book cover is probably what draws me to a novel first. But I never buy a book without reading the “blurb” on the back cover. Ultimately, that’s the deciding factor. A cover makes me pause, but a premise makes me buy.

17. Has the quality of the cover of a book ever put you off of reading it?
In all honesty, yes. I have a hard time buying a book with a low-quality cover. First impressions matter, especially when there are so many great books out there with brilliant covers. To me, a book cover is kind of like a job interview. Imagine two equally qualified candidates showing up to get a job: one dressed in a well-tailored, designer suit; the other dressed in raggedy jogging pants and a stained undershirt. Who gets the job? The first person, simply because it’s easy to assume that someone who invests in their appearance cares more. As the saying goes, we eat with our eyes, not just our stomachs. What we see impacts our experience deeply, even when it shouldn’t. Book covers matter.

18. What is your favourite film based on a book?
Unfortunately, many of my favourite books haven’t had film incarnations yet. But of course, like anyone in their right mind, I have to say that the Harry Potter movie series was fantastic. It shaped a generation. It certainly had a profound impact on me. Just seeing the effect that a book (and then a movie) series could have on so many people around the world. It was staggering and humbling and moving beyond words.

19. What is your favourite book genre at the moment?
I have, and always will be, a hardcore fantasy fan, both high (classical) fantasy and low (contemporary) fantasy.

20. What books have made it onto your wishlist recently? And why?
I’m ashamed to admit that I haven’t yet plunged into The Game of Thrones, by George R. R. Martin. Definitely on the to-do list the first free moment I get to read.

21. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
-Brightest Kind of Darkness, by P.T. Michelle
-.mobi (ebook/Kindle format)


22. If you could invite any four celebrities (alive or dead) to your dinner party, who would you invite and why?

- J.K. Rowling
- Stephenie Meyer
- Charlaine Harris
- Suzanne  Collins

The reason is the same for all of these authors. Each of these women has generated a pop culture frenzy with their writing, and I’d love to hear their thoughts on why. Also, I couldn’t imagine anything more valuable to my career as an author than picking their brains on the writing process and their advice for up-and-coming writers. I’d be particularly interested in how they compare and contrast their various styles and approaches.
23. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
My best advice, for what it’s worth, is to tell your story. Your. Story. People may love it. People may hate it. People may just ignore it. But if it’s important enough for you to write, it’s important enough to share. And be careful to accept criticism for what it’s worth. Learn from it. Understand it. But don’t apply it blindly to your writing. In the end, it is your story. Your. Story. You have to stay true to your vision. There’s no point telling someone else’s story. They can tell it themselves.
The best advice I’ve received is to never give up. Not every book is an overnight success; in fact, few are. It takes time. It takes a hell of a lot of hard work. Blood, sweat, and tears of the non-metaphorical variety. But it’s worth it, if you can find and appreciate the value in writing for the sake of telling your story and just let the money worry about itself.


24. Do you have any hobbies that aren’t related to reading & writing?
I’m a study in contradictions: I’m an active gamer and a bit of a gymbunny. So, I tend to be plastered to my computer screen playing an online roleplaying game (when I’m not playing or hosting an in-person roleplaying game), or I’m at the gym, working out.
Also,I don’t know if they count as hobbies, but raising 2 puppies also sucks up a lot of time, energy, and attention. And treats.


25. Where can your readers follow you?

Goodreads author page: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16068950-hera-queen-of-gods

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hera-Queen-Goddess-Unbound-ebook/dp/B009LA1U68

Other: www.td-thomas.com

Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment